Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!



Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! The elementary students celebrated Dr. Seuss’ 107th birthday by participating in the National Education Association’s Read Across America Day.

Read Across America Day, is a national reading celebration takes place each year on or near March 2, the birthday of Dr. Seuss. Across the country, thousands of schools and libraries participate by bringing together kids and books, just like we did!

Throughout the day students came to the Library to see the birthday decorations, Mrs. Tench dressed as The Cat in the Hat and hear her read, “Oh the Thinks You Can Think” and “And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street”. Students also took the Read Across America, Reader’s Oath:

I promise to read, each day and each night.
I know it’s the key, to growing up right.
I’ll read to myself, I’ll read to a crowd.
It makes no difference, if silent or loud.
I’ll read at my desk, at home and at school,
on my bean bag or bed, by the fire or pool.
Each book that I read, puts smarts in my head,
‘cause brains grow more thoughts, the more they are fed.
So I take this oath, to make reading my way;
Of feeding my brain, what it needs every day!





No comments:

Post a Comment